Monday, February 24, 2014

A call to arms

Hello future readers (I say optimistically)
This is my blog about teaching my machine to learn, and what I learn in the process.

My plan for it currently is to use the Microsoft stack of data mining tools - SQL Server (I'm downloading SQL Server 2012 Business Intelligence edition as I'm writing this) with Analysis Services, and probably just SQL Server Management Studio to develop it - which means I'm going to have to forget about my old Visual studio UI, and say hello to lots and lots of horrible looking MDX code.

http://blogs.msdn.com/cfs-filesystemfile.ashx/__key/communityserver-blogs-components-weblogfiles/00-00-01-27-16/1351.pic4.png
Farewell my beautiful monster; I will miss you, except when I am at work
Now,before I scare too many people away (Ha! I say this in the second paragraph) I want to assure you that I am not going to make this blog overly technical.
If I want to post some code, or some in-depth discussion about an algorithm or something, I will put it in a spoiler tag or something, just as soon as I figure out how to add one of those.


Dumbledore dies.

No, the biggest discussion will be about what I'm learning from my machine, and what I'm managing to teach it - and I want suggestions. If you have any ideas about something you would like to predict, please comment and I'll try to get some data and see what I can do.
Want to know what the weather will (probably not, let's be realistic) be like in 3 months in Taiwan? I'll go grab me some weather data and do some data mining. Want to know what the best strategy is (probably not) for playing StarCraft? I'll go get me some replay data, dump it into SQL, and see what comes out.

http://www.studiosystemnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/sharknado.jpg
Looks like a shark front moving in from the west - expect some turbulence
No task is too big (except the ones I think are too big) or too small (except the ones I can't be bothered doing) for me.

I promise to read all of the comments on this, until I become world famous* at which point I might start getting someone else to do it. I'm also going to do my best to learn more web design skillz, so that I can make this blog prettier. I will not use any pre-made template for it, so what you get is because I am this lazy.

One last thing: please don't be offended if you ask me to look at your blog and I don't - it's probably not because it's not interesting, and very probably because I don't like computers or the internet.

Disclaimer: by "world" I mean some other country, and by "famous" I mean "have a follower".


6 comments:

  1. First set back: Downloaded ISO for x64 SQL Server, but have x86 OS.
    Fix: Reinstall windows.
    ETA: Whenever I can get my hands on some out of date hardware (DVD)

    On the upside, it means I'll be able to use that extra 512 MB of ram...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are there any movies coming out this year that I'm going to enjoy enough to buy movie tickets?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, of course it would be a personal preference thing. Tell you what, if you can find an IMDB list or something with movies you like that much, I'll see what I can do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our family wants to know if hot air balloons are going to launch in the weekend, and even which ones. Its weather and time of year dependant and they announce on facebook but probably twitter crowd sourcing would be more accurate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh. That's a much more interesting problem. I'm just installing windows right now, so I'll see what data I can get over the next week.

      Delete